Flag of Waleswebsite bannerFlag of St David

Anglesey Churches

Ancient Churches

Ancient Monuments

Anglesey Today

Beaches

History

Maritime History

Nature

Old Photographs

Timeline

Times Past

Towns and Villages

War Memorials

Water Mills and Windmills

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill, possibly the blocked up mill race exit

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill, possibly the blocked up mill race exit

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill, remains of the Dying Room

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill, remains of the Dying Room

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill, River Cadnant

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill, River Cadnant

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill, River Cadnant

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill, River Cadnant

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill, River Cadnant

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill, River Cadnant

 

Menai Bridge Water Mill - Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill on the Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn) in North Wales.

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill, Front view on a snowy december morning

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill, front view on a snowy December morning.

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill - and old cottage

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill - and old cottage.

There is far more to this site than just the story of the woolen mill, in fact the complex of buildings here - comprising of a smithy, a cottage or two, and an inn, were in fact the original hamlet of Porth Aethwy - now also known as Menai Bridge.



Later, a woolen mill and a slate writing boards (for schoolchildren) factory were built on the site. It is from this place that one caught the ferry to cross back and forth ovre the Menai Straits. This was known as the 'Bishop's Crossing' as the Bishop of Bangor Cathedral would cross from his house on the Anglesey side of the Straits back to the mainland. The cottage on the right in the photograph immediately above was built in 1604, and was once an inn. It was from this inn that you purchased the ticket for the ferry ride.

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill and possibly the Miller.

Menai Bridge, Cadnant Smithy - John Morris the Smithy and Owen Hughes a servant at Bryn Meurig in 1909

Menai Bridge, Cadnant Smithy - John Morris the Smithy and Owen Hughes a servant at Bryn Meurig in 1909

Menai Bridge, Cadnant, Ferry Crossing Story

Menai Bridge, Cadnant, Ferry Crossing Story

O.S. Coordinates: SH559729.

Anglesey Mills




Search the website below:

Web www.anglesey.info

Sitemap>>>>>Home>>>>>Privacy Policy

Menai Bridge, Slate Mill, Felin Tysilio Mill and the River Cadnant

Menai Bridge, Slate Mill, Felin Tysilio Mill and the River Cadnant

Menai Bridge, the back of the Slate Mill and Lon Felin Lane

Menai Bridge, the back of the Slate Mill and the Lon Felin - Mill Lane

Menai Bridge, Felin Tysilio Woolen Mill, once an inn - built in 1604

Menai Bridge, Cadnant, Cottage, once an inn - built in 1604

Menai Bridge, River Cadnant, where the Ferry left from

Menai Bridge, River Cadnant, where the Ferry left from

Anglesey, Menai Bridge, view from the new Cadnant Bridge of the ferry crossing route

Anglesey, Menai Bridge, view from the new Cadnant Bridge of the ferry crossing route

© 2016 Anglesey Môn Information Website - all rights reserved.